https://eitm.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/MakerEdConferenceGraphic.png 1167 2449 Laura March https://eitm.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/EITM_LED_LogoBlack3.png Laura March2020-09-01 19:54:492020-11-12 22:19:43Maker Ed: Remaking the Library Makerspace
Remaking the Library Makerspace: New Moves toward Equity and Joy
Co-presenters: Jennifer Nichols and Brianna Marshall)
October 2-3, 2020
- This panel is a discussion between contributing authors to Re-making the Library Makerspace Critical Theories, Reflections, and Practices, a forthcoming book from Library Juice Press (October 2020), edited by facilitators Jennifer Nichols and Maggie Melo. The volume contains the following four sections, and will be used as a framework to guide this discussion.
- Who Belongs in the Makerspace? Power and Critical Theories
- Movement, Empathy, and Inclusion in Youth Makerspaces
- Re-imagined Makerspaces: Policies, Procedures, and Culture
- Chapters celebrate successes and progress, acknowledge power and structural issues and offer reflections on moving forward toward social justice and equity. By highlighting authors who offer new ideas and perspectives for cultivating both equity and joy, we propose the use of liberatory design practices to both encourage self reflection and facilitate meaningful connection between participants.